Thursday, April 16, 2009

Are my crooked teeth inherited?

I have an overjet, crowding, and a jaw irregularity. Only my two front teeth protrude forward, and my incisors are turned. The rest of my teeth don%26#039;t protrude forward. Also, my jaw is too far back and needs to be pushed forward. However, this problem doesn%26#039;t resemble either of my parent%26#039;s teeth, or my grandparents%26#039;. My sisters always had perfect bites, but their teeth were just a little crooked before braces. I don%26#039;t know of anyone else in my family with teeth like mine. Is my maloclussion inherited or is my mouth too small to hold all of my teeth? Also, my baby teeth took a long time to come in. I%26#039;m 15, and I just got my last baby tooth pulled about a month ago. The strange thing was, most of my permanent tooth had already erupted while the baby tooth was still there. That happened with some of my other teeth too. And, three of my second molars haven%26#039;t come in yet.

Are my crooked teeth inherited?
It sounds as if most other members of your family have near-normal teeth and jaws, so it%26#039;s unlikely that you inherited your bite problems.





There is a genetic component, but for the most part a person%26#039;s teeth are pretty random. Odds are you got your%26#039;s by chance.





Also, while it looks like you have many problems with your teeth, it probably started out as only one problem.





Most likely, the original problem in this case is your underbite. With the lower jaw farther back than usual, your bottom teeth would push your upper teeth forwards - and baby teeth are easy to move. That would explain your overjet. The fact that your two front incisors were moved likely caused their turning. Your teeth sit in one place because of a balance of forces from your cheek/lips, tongue, neighbouring teeth, and opposing teeth. Once one is really out of balance, other stuff can start to go wrong really fast.





Also, when baby teeth are moved, the developing permanent teeth won%26#039;t necessarily follow, so they don%26#039;t erupt in a place that would push out the baby tooth, and come up right beside or behind it.





All I can say is that if the rest of your family has good teeth, you can know that you didn%26#039;t inherit yours.
Reply:I had very similar teeth problems like you. When I went to my orthodontist few years ago she said that the overcrowding of teeth were result of my small jaw (like my mother%26#039;s) and big teeth (like my father%26#039;s).So I believe that I%26#039;ve inherited it to some extent. My second pairs of molars came out when I was 16 so I guess time varies.





I suppose you%26#039;ve sought a consult with orthodontist. These are all problems that can be solved with braces and maybe pulling out a teeth (I got my mandibular third molars taken out before they even showed) to free more space.Orthodontics is very developed nowadays and if you don%26#039;t want regular braces there are new invisible kinds.





Don%26#039;t worry too much and good luck!



bsd apache

No comments:

Post a Comment